top of page
main image
charterhouse surveying logo

Party Wall etc. Act 1996

At Charterhouse Surveying we offer specialist expert advice on Party Wall matters with competitively priced fixed fees and are proud of the consistently high reviews we receive from our clients on Google.


We offer free, no-obligation advice to help you understand the requirements of the Act. If you need a Party Wall Surveyor our fast professional service will ensure your interests are protected at every stage

The Party Wall etc. Act 1996 imposes a legal requirement on building owners that propose to carry out certain notifiable building works, to serve notice on their neighbours before they commence the works. This ensures that the work can proceed within a defined timeframe, while safeguarding the interests of their neighbours.

Timing in Party Wall matters is important if you are the Building Owner and are planning on carrying out construction work. Engaging in early discussions with your neighbours can help prevent delays and possibly save you money. We provide free advice during this early stage to help you avoid potential issues that may arise.


Expertise in handling Party Wall matters is key, due to the ever evolving nature of case law. Ensuring that your party wall surveyor stays current with the latest legal developments is essential. At Charterhouse Surveying, our fully accredited & experienced team take pride delivering a high-quality professional service, based on the very latest legal information related to the Party Wall Act. So whether you’re planning a small renovation or a major construction project, we can help you navigate the complex world of Party Wall matters, to help ensure your project proceeds smoothly and without any unnecessary delays or complications.

Regulated by RICS

RICS Logo black

Fees for Party Wall services can vary wildly and its well worth checking costs before you instruct a surveyor outside of the local area. We offer a 'Fair Price' guarantee and will send you a no-obligation, written fee proposal that is tailored to the needs of your project.
If you would like a brief overview of our fees for handling party wall matters, please click the adjacent button to see our current fee structure, we are confident you will find our rates competitive.


  • Free No Obligation Advice 

  • Preparation & Serving of Party Wall Notices

  • Act as Building Owner, Adjoining Owner or Agreed Surveyor

  • Schedule of Condition Surveys

  • Preparation of Party Wall Awards


Faculty of Party Wall Surveyors

In addition to our RICS & CIOB professional memberships we are 'Regulated by RICS' and accredited members of the Faculty of Party Wall Surveyors (MFPWS)

Wooden House 3

The Party Wall etc. Act 1996

The Party Wall etc. Act 1996 is a legal framework that applies in England & Wales to enable certain works to be carried out, without excessive delay or expensive legal action. Whilst it enables Building Owners to carry out the proposed works it also, importantly, protects the interests of neighbouring Adjoining Owners.

What Works Are Notifiable?

Wall Built Along the Line of Junction


Building Along the Line of Junction (Boundary)

Section 1

If you are building on your property you have rights to build right up to the boundary (line of junction). This can give you rights under the Party Wall Act but you must serve Notice on the Adjoining Owner under Section 1


A Party Wall


Works Physically Affecting
the Party Wall

Section 2

Certain works to the Party Wall require a Notice being served under Section 2/3 of the Act. Maybe you are having a loft converted and need steel beams to be inserted in to the Party Wall, this would require a Notice to be served


Excavation Near A House


Excavations Near a Neighbouring Structure

Section 6

If you plan to excavate within 3 metres of a neighbouring structure you will likely have to serve Notice under Section 6. Most rear extensions to semi-detached, or terraced properties, will require this. Contact us for more advice

Official Guides

Just Click Below to Download These Official Guides Related to Party Wall Matters

Party Wall Surveyors Logo

Faculty of Party Wall

Surveyors Leaflet

Party Wall Act

The Party Wall etc.
Act 1996

Party Wall Advice

Official Government Guidance Leaflet

Image by Dave Webb
Image by Dave Webb

Common Questions

We often encounter some common questions about the Party Wall etc. Act 1996, we've listed a few below along with some brief answers. Please also feel free to look at the specific FAQ pages for either the Building Owner, or Adjoining Owner linked below.

When does the Party Wall Act apply?

The Act applies when you propose to carry out certain works that are determined to be  'notifiable'. These could include works that could affect the party wall, excavations near to a structure on your neighbour's land and building a new wall along a boundary.

What must I do if I propose to carry out notifiable work under the Party Wall Act?
You must then give written notice to your neighbour(s) explaining the planned work and its potential impact. You can do this directly, but it is often best to engage a surveyor to ensure the notice is valid.

What happens if my neighbour dissents to the notice and raises a dispute?
If your neighbour dissents then either one ‘Agreed Surveyor’, or two surveyors will need to be appointed to resolve the dispute by means of a Party Wall Award.

How long does the Party Wall Act process typically take?
This can vary from a couple of weeks at best, to a few months, depending on several factors including how quickly your neighbour replies. It is always best to serve notice well in advance to save any delays to your work.

Do I have to pay for my neighbour’s surveyor?
Typically, the owner that proposes to undertake the work will have to pay for the surveyors fees for both parties.


If you are planning on having work done we recommend that you get your Party Wall responsibilities handled early, failure to do so could mean your neighbour is more likely to approach you and ask for an Award, meaning delays could occur. We've produced a guide to help you see the process. Please click to open the image and see our Frequently Asked Questions page by clicking the button below

Clad Building
Free Party Wall Advice
Building Owner


Is your neighbour planning to have some work done? Have they served you a Party Wall Notice? Depending on the type of work they are planning, you may wish to have a professional ensure everything is as it should be legally and your interests are protected. If so, give us a call, we are more than happy to give you some free advice 

Adjoining Owner


At Charterhouse Surveying we offer a free Party Wall 'Health Check' service for designers and Architects. Just email us the plans of your project and we will produce a free, written professional opinion of the statutory responsibilities your client may have under the Act. 

Providing this additional service to your clients early on, for free, can often ensure a far smoother development of their project

Drawing with a pencil
Anchor Architect PW
bottom of page